Monday, July 31, 2006

 

The Official Saturday Post

It took some thought as to whether I should write this or not. Everyone that I know knows that Saturday at ComicCon is an absolute cluster. This year, the number I heard quoted was 120,000 attendees. Despite the fact that the convention is seven city blocks of rows, it is still packed in most areas, and the air conditioning never quite catches up in the dealer's room. (It's a good day to attend the panels being held upstairs.)

Anyone that tries to just "drop by" on Saturday is insane. I wish I had a picture of the line to buy tickets about a mile long. At one point, I heard that someone waited, mostly in the heat and humidity, four hours to get a ticket and get in. And that's with 60 or so people registering them. Seriously, buy them online and come down the day before. It's sort of a hassle, but nothing like that miserable line eating up your entire day.

Just so I do not misquote my friend, here's her e mail to me. My guest blogger; her first time at the Con.

"
As for the crowd etiquette piece - YES PLEASE!!!! Starting with PLEASE WATCH YOUR OWN DAMN KIDS and following up with PLEASE DON'T STEP ON ME/MY KIDS. Believe it or not these are not 2 sides of the same argument. The former is please don't let your 3 year old wander off to act like a gibbon in heat, hiding under tables, kicking strangers in the nether-parts and screaming like a banshee....The latter is believe or not ass-hat there ARE people SHORTER than you who don't wish to be run over simply because you're too damn self absorbed to watch wear you're going. (I think these are the same people who insist on driving lifted trucks and H2's.)
Ok, that's my 2 cents - too much coffee this morning."

Thanks, baby.

If I had to add anything to this, it would be, "Teenagers! We all want to get someone quicker. We can't. There is a small city in aisle 3200 alone. Quit trying to use your shoulder blade to cut in and dart ahead. It's pissy, it's useless, and it only adds to the tension. Also, pros, booth owners, and all of the other clueless... I know you really missed your friends, and I know you're happy to see them, but do not form some ignorant, four-person knitting circle in the middle of any aisle. The lobby is huge, and has better air conditioning. In other words, where this small city is trying to pass, MOVE! GET OUT! (I have some understanding when it comes to children, but these are generally adults blah-blahing.)

Ok, I think that's my Saturday rant. More as I think of it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?